Tuesday 11 May 2010

Back in the saddle

Well, it has been a long time since I have written my blog.

The reasons for this include:
Just before Christmas, I spilt a glass of wine over my keyboard (all very innocently sober I hasten to add!). My computer got drunk and died a tragic death of alcohol poisoning. I had to get a new one... This process all took some time and I must admit I lost momentum.

By the time I was up and running again, we were in the grip of my two least favourite months of the year... January and February. For those who don't know me well, I suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) and the lack of natural sunshine and light makes my little world a rather dark place - literally and figuratively. At that time I did not feel that I had much positive insight to offer the world. By the time I began to see the trees for the wood again, I seriously wondered what the point of writing my blog is.

Is it a place for me to connect with like minded people? As much as I had hoped so, it had not really proved to be that, as I don't have a huge following to date!
Is it a diary? Not really, as one would probably be a bit more blunt on some topics than one is when writing a diary that one knows is being read by others.
Is it a cathartic exercise for me? Absolutely. I really enjoy the process of writing.
Is it just one take on modern parenting with all it's petty day-to-day highs and lows? Probably.

I have had some wonderful encouragement over the past few months to keep writing and yet still it has not been enough for me to put fingers to keyboard again.

So why am I here today?
For one simple reason.
I want to write again.

The fog has cleared, my children are heaven, and the state of the world is concerning (I refer to the current turmoil in the British political arena). I have an opinion and I want to share it!

The current situation of the Liberal Democrats courting both the Labour party and the Conservative party for "a deal" of power is both alarming and concerning. Can none of these "leaders" do what is right for the country - for me and my children - and put their country, it's economy and it's people first? I guess that would be asking too much of a politician!

I have never been a huge politico. That being said, I have always been very interested in current affairs. I try to stay on top of the news and most importantly to a stay-at-home-mother, I want to ensure that I remain in touch with the world. (Part of it is in defense of that dreadful dinner party stopper ... "So what do you do?". "I am a full time Mom". The eyes glaze over and people automatically conclude that you have nothing further to add. Isn't that terrible!!!) While I admit that I struggle to find intelligent things to talk about some days(!!), I do believe that mothers have a vital and underestimated voice. (Why do you think Cameron was wooing mothers on Mumsnet?!)

I have been following this election with huge interest, fascination and energy. When I told a friend of mine that I had stayed up till 4am watching the election results roll in, she commented to me "Darling, I didn't know you cared so much". Well, I do. I have lived in the UK for 10 years, and have two amazing little people in my life whose futures I feel will be deeply affected by the decisions made by the politicians today. On what basis could I not possibly care about the outcome of this election/the debacle it has become?

Fortunately J and O are blissfully unaware that they will be paying for the budget deficit for the rest of their lifetime. The most critical thing on their minds right now is whether or not we are going to the sand pit this afternoon! The innocence of youth.

3 comments:

  1. Hooray! You're back! Been wondering and worrying. Haven't even read the post yet, but just wanted to say am so delighted you're still there. We're not, by the way, am writing this from Scotland, but we will have that coffee when I'm back down...

    ReplyDelete
  2. And very interesting on the politics too. With no internet and no telly at the moment, I feel totally out of it. But part of that is because of concern about exactly what you raise - can they, would they, ever do something just because it was right? I'm afraid I suspect not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey - thanks! Lovely to hear from you!
    Great result last night on the political front!
    Yes, I have been out of the loop for awhile, but hope to get cracking again now!
    How is scotland treating you?!

    ReplyDelete